We all know how this healthy lifestyle can go from 0 to 100 real quick. It usually starts the downward spiral somewhere between Thursday evening and Sunday after lunch. Don’t feel bad, we’re all guilty of eating unhealthily at some point, but the key is to getting back on track. So here’s how to restart your diet and put yourself on the healthy track again:
1. Morning cleanse- As soon as you wake up, drink ACV or lemon elixir (1-2 c water + 1 tsp Apple Cider vinegar/lemon juice) or my DIY Metabolism Booster (see recipe here). This will help cleanse your body from the toxins giving you a fresh start, aid in digestion and an overall health boost.
2. Green smoothies- Green smoothies are a good subtle way to get your diet back on track. It is totally personal, as you can make it however you like, but just considering that there needs to have fruit and/or vegetables, and green leafy vegetables is vital (spinach, kale, lettuce etc…) Click here for recipes to all my favorite smoothies. They can be prepared the night before or made on-the-go in the morning. Smoothies ensure that you get your servings of fruit and vegetables up front, so you won’t have to struggle during the day.
3. Green tea- This is a novice way of boosting your overall health. Green tea has antioxidants and improve brain functions and good for weight loss. You can jazz up your tea as you wish, drink it hot or cold and serve with lemon and or mint.
4. Healthy food swaps- Eating healthy is a lifestyle and its a choice we have to make everyday. Try these healthy food swaps that will keep you on the healthy track:
– If you truly like coffee, then you can swap your coffee for Barley Cup.
– If you like fries or baked potato, you can opt for sweet potato fries or baked sweet potato instead.
-Use Liquid Aminos for Soy Sauce when seasoning meats or dipping your sushi rolls.
– Use honey instead of sugar in your tea or coffee.
– Opt for brown or black rice instead of white rice.
– Try Cauliflower pizza crust (recipe here) instead of normal pizza crusts.
– Try olive oil or coconut oil instead of vegetable or soybean oil.
– Replace fast food with home cooked meals (meal prep is key) or use my healthy fast food guide (click here)
5. Water/Coconut water- The most important of them all, drinking water. Drinking water is so important but is often neglected. Try setting alarms on your phone every hour to drink a glass or 1 fl oz of water and this will aid in you getting your recommended intake of water without much effort. There are also several ways you can enhance your water if it gets too boring. You can add strawberries, apples, mint, lemon, frozen pineapples, mango chunks, chia seeds, or even cucumbers to your water. And well of course, you can always try coconut water, its delicious and detoxes the body.
I hope these are some easy and practical ways to help you get your healthy lifestyle started or rather, get it back on track.
If you have other ways that you use to get back on track, comment them below, I’d love to hear them 🙂