You ever felt like you shouldn’t eat junk food again but then “lady time” comes around and your hormones starts to run amok? Oh, maybe thats just me 🙂 If this is you though and you want to still eat healthy even when you’re craving junk, then this recipe is for you.
I have been addicted to McDonald’s French Fries for some weeks now (I know, I’ve been a bad girl). So to help me recover from this addiction, I’ve decided to make a healthy version of French Fries. I had some tofu in the fridge, thus…TOFU FRIES. Now, don’t judge it before you try it, it’s really delicious, even if you’re not a tofu lover. You can also substitute tofu for sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, pretty much anything that you can fry really. Here’s what you’ll need:
〉 1 package Extra Firm Tofu packed in water
〉 coconut/olive oil for frying (you can also bake these)
〉 1 tbsp sea salt
〉 2 tbsp ground black pepper
〉 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
〉 1/4 tsp garlic (finely chopped)
〉 1 c Panko breadcrumbs (or homemade breadcrumbs or flour)
〉 1 egg, lightly beaten (VEGAN OPTION FOR EGG WASH- water and baking soda mixture, beer or sparkling water)
- Prepare a plate lined with a couple layers of paper towels/napkin to absorb moisture from the tofu.
- Take tofu out of the packaging and rest on the plate you’ve prepared with paper towel.
- Place more paper towels over the tofu and set another plate on top of it to draw the moisture out. Leave for 15-20 mins until most of the moisture is absorbed by the paper towel.
- Heat frying pan on a medium heat and coat pan with a generous amount of oil for frying. NB. You can also bake these for an even healthier option. Preheat oven at 375°.
- Prepare another plate to drain off the tofu fries when they are finished.
- After the majority of water is absorbed, remove tofu from the plate. On a cutting board, cut it into “fries” about 1/2″ thick (or however you want your fries really).
7. In a medium bowl, combine salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic and egg (or egg substitute). Then, in a plate, add breadcrumbs.
8. Form an “assembly line” with egg mixture first then breadcrumbs.
9. Dip the tofu into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs and place in fryer. Keep turning the fries in the pan until all the sides are golden brown. Repeat this process until all the tofu is fried.
10. Allow to cool, and enjoy with your favorite sauce (Sriracha & ketchup is my fav)
Take care of your body and your body will take care of you.