Have you ever felt like you needed a ‘happiness boost’? Sometimes life can suck the joy right out of you. Either you’re too busy to enjoy life, or you’ve been hurt. Here’s some easy and practical ways you can use to boast your happiness (read till the end):
1. Spiritual health- though its often overlooked, this is the most important key to your happiness. Listen to videos or music that uplifts your spirit. My favorite video right now is Joyce Meyer’s Nine Attitudes that Will Keep You happy (click). Go to church, find a ministry that you enjoy, feed your spirit with Godly things and watch it grow. I know you probably saw the word ‘church’ and said, ‘uhhh no!’ and so many people have been hurt by the church, but hey! we go for God, not church members.
2. Loving yourself- Health is more than green juices and working out. It is about loving yourself enough to care about your wellbeing. Start a journal, where you write down your thoughts everyday. Journal how you feel, what you learned from spending time with God. Try journaling things that you’ve noticed you like and don’t like, your pet peeves, what makes you, YOU! Loving yourself is a whole other blog post, but you deserve to be loved and don’t let anyone make you feel differently. Also, love yourself with what you put in your body. If you love something, you’d want to take care of it, treat it right. And if you’re saying, well I don’t even love myself well write on your mirror that God never created something that He didn’t love. And if the maker of the universe loves you, then forget what anyone else says about you or what has happened to you, LOVE YOU. You are more loved than you know, so love yourself back.
3. Diet/Exercise/Lifestyle- Of course you knew this was coming. You’re probably unhappy because of what you’re eating, which sounds crazy but its true. You are what you eat! And if you eat whole foods, you’ll feel whole, if you eat foods that give no life, guess what? You’ll feel the same. Junk food will only promote temporary ‘happiness’ but in the end can leave you feeling sluggish and regretful. If you want happiness that’s long lasting, then change the way you eat. It doesn’t have to be drastic, but it can start with steaming instead of frying, or baked/grilled chicken instead of fried or stewed. It can also mean that you’re smoking one less cigarette a day or drinking less and less. When you’re in good health, you feel happy and energized. YOU deserve to be healthy!
4. Rid yourself of toxic people- Get rid of people that are toxic to your growth and development. Focus on keeping people around you that uplift you and support your dreams and goals, no matter how bizarre they might appear. Its okay to loose a couple friends along the way and you’re not holding any grudges either, you’re just taking care of you. Toxic friends can suck the life right out of you. If your friends are encouraging you to drink after explaining to them that you want to stop–GET RID OF THEM. If they’re encouraging you to stay in a toxic relationship, GET…It sounds harsh, but you got to take care of YOU boo.
5. Do things that make you happy- find what makes you happy firstly, and make sure its something that it is positive. Eating pizza or shopping does not apply here as its neither healthy nor economical (sadly). If writing makes you happy then write away, if working out makes you feel happy, then do that. Find hobbies that are beneficial to you. Walks on the beach or park, get creative. It doesn’t have to be something fancy or expensive. It can be just writing a bucket list or things you want to accomplish, or cooking or baking something healthy that you would never have tried before. It can be as simple as staring at the sky and thinking about things you’re grateful for. You only have one life, so start living on purpose. YOU deserve it.
The thing is, none of the aforementioned can make you feel true happiness unless you’re connected to the source of all joy, peace and happiness–Jesus. I’ve tried everything to make me feel happy, nothing is as effective as getting your joy from God. This way, no matter what happens to you, you’ll always be happy because God doesn’t change. He’ll always make you happy, day in and day out, even in the difficult times. No man, woman, hobby or food can do that. Your happiness is not conditional, its eternal once you’re connected to the source of all happiness.
Jesus is the root of happiness, the above mentioned are just the leaves on the tree, and your happiness is the fruit.