1. Name and where are you from.
Hi! My name is Charissa Singh. Born & raised in South Trinidad. I currently reside in New Jersey, USA.
2. Tell us about yourself.
I’d like to think of myself as a God fearing twenty three year old, who’s just trying to balance whatever life throws at her while working and having a bit of fun doing it, lol.
3. How long have you been a Makeup enthusiast and what how did you start wearing makeup?
I was probably a sophomore in high school, at sixteen or so, when I started really paying attention to other people’s makeup & the different looks they wore. I immediately became attracted to the makeup world. I started wearing makeup when I turned eighteen. When I discovered YouTube however, the attraction quickly turned into a mild obsession. I would definitely say that it has played a huge part in my love for makeup….it still does.
4. How would you describe your makeup style?
Without a doubt, my makeup style is very simple and classic.
I wouldn’t quite say I have one particular makeup artist I emulate. Within the celebrity world, I love the makeup done on the Kardashian/Jenner girls, (excluding Kylie). While they don’t always look natural, their makeup always seems seamless and I can appreciate that. I guess you can say I am a bit of a fan of Mario Dedivanovic and Joyce Bonelli…to an extent. I also really admire Jackie Aina, Nicole Guerriero and also Jaclyn Hill, all of whom I discovered on YouTube. They are all incredibly skilled and creative. For every day inspiration however, I use good ol’ Instagram.
My current makeup regimen is so simple, it’s actually laughable. My “every day” makeup includes a little bit of foundation for an even skin tone, under eye concealer (which is a must for me), mascara, lip balm and a decent setting spray. That’s it! I guess you can say I’m a bit of a minimalist.
- Smashbox Primer Water – I can’t completely explain why I love this product. It just works! It keeps your makeup looking fresh all day long!
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation – THIS IS LITERALLY EVERYTHING! Ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but it’s so good! It has medium to full coverage and lasts all day long. Coming from someone who is extremely oily and rarely does touch ups, that’s saying a lot.
- ABH ‘World Traveler’ Couture Eyeshadow Palette – I love every eyeshadow color in this palette. They are all extremely pigmented and blend amazingly.
- LA Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealers – These are really great medium to full coverage concealers, especially for their price. Once they set, they do not budge.
- Lime Crime Velvetines – Amazing & comfortable long lasting liquid lipsticks with a great color range.
- BONUS ITEM…(if I’m allowed) MAC Peach Lustre – Ok, so I know I’m cheating with this one but it’s worth the mention. Corrects beautifully and really just makes the job of your foundation and concealer ten times easier.
My ALL TIME favorite makeup look is really easy to achieve. I usually start with my brows and then move on to eyes, using warm neutral shadows (that I can find in my Morphe 35O palette). I sweep a deep burnt orange in the crease as a transition color, rich chocolate brown into the outer V and then add a golden peach or coral on the lid. Once everything is well blended, I move on to my face. I usually try to have a flawless base using primer, corrector, foundation and then concealer under my eyes. Once I set my eyes using the baking method, I move on to contour and bronze using my ABH Medium Contour Kit and then reach for a peachy/pinky toned matte blush. Once I apply all my matte powder products, I go in with my Primer Water and set everything, just to ensure I don’t look cakey. I then go back to my eyes and tight line, line my upper lash line, curl and apply mascara to my top and bottom lashes. And that’s it for the eyes! Of course, I got to go back to my face and highlight my cheekbones and the tip of my nose..9 out of 10 times, using Becca x Jaclyn Hill’s Champagne Pop. On my lips, I usually go for Lime Crime’s faded and then spray another setting mist yet again. Then wala, all done! This routine usually takes me fifteen to twenty minutes, which to me isn’t really that long.
Ah, man…favorite makeup brands, this is hard! Recently, I’ve been loving Anastasia Beverly Hills. All of their products I own haven’t disappointed me yet and it really makes me just want to buy more! On the more affordable side, I really enjoy NYX. They have a wide range of products, most of which perform really well. Last, but not least, Morphe! If you need brushes or shadows, they got you. Once again, really affordable and such good quality.
I won’t really call these tricks per say, just simple, extra steps I do. After applying my foundation, and concealer, I take a damp beauty sponge (either the Beauty Blender or Real Techniques Miracle Sponge), and blend everything seamlessly. It makes a world of a difference. On simple makeup days, I use my bronzer as a crease color. I save time and still look put together.
Practice, practice, PRACTICE! Take it from someone who has yet to perfect extremely dramatic eye looks and winged liner. Don’t be discouraged if your look doesn’t turn out the way you imagined. Learn from your mistakes and keep playing with different products and tools to improve your application. It’s all about trial and error. Last but certainly not least, have fun! After all, isn’t that what makeup is about anyway?
Thank you Charissa for this amazing advice. If you want to see more tips and makeup ideas, follow her on Instagram @itscharissaaa