Well this recipe had me at healthy and red velvet. Gosh, if its any dessert that I won’t mind indulging in on a regular is Red Velvet cupcakes. Its so moist and melts in your mouth, I’m drooling already. So I looked up a typical Red Velvet cupcake and “healthified” it. Here’s what you’ll need:
◊ 1/2 c flour
◊ 2 eggs
◊ 1 tbsp vanilla extract
◊ ½ tbsp cinnamon
◊ pinch of sea salt
◊ 2 tbsp cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
◊ 3 tbsp olive oil (healthy oil of choice; coconut, avocado, grapeseed or melted butter)
◊ ¼ cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
◊ 1 tsp baking powder (or ¼ tsp baking soda)
◊ nuts/berries/unsweetened chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 320ºF.
2. Peel beet root and place in foil to bake for 20 minutes.
3. While beet is baking, combine eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, cacao, honey, oil and baking powder into a large bowl.
4. After beets have baked, they should be soft. Place beets in a food processor or blender to get a puree.
5. Add pureed beets to mixture and spoon into paper lined cupcake or small muffin tins.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely in muffin tins.
8. Serve alone or with cream cheese frosting (9 0z soft cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, honey to taste. Beat until creamy and voila), or I like greek yogurt as a frosting as well.
I always love hearing from you, so be sure to comment below if you’ve enjoyed this recipe.